Industry 4.0 (otherwise known as connected manufacturing) was developed in Germany as a proposed way for SME manufacturers to remain competitive and relevant in the future. German business leaders recognised that their factories could not compete with low cost manufacturing abroad, so they decided to develop new and innovative techniques to stay competitive.
KEY FEATURES OF INDUSTRY 4.0:
- Digitally connected production systems
- Paperless factories with less overheads
- More responsive manufacturing businesses
- Process automation that speeds manufacturing processes
- Supply chain automation to integrate with customers and suppliers
KEY RESULTS OF INDUSTRY 4.0:
Software, Hardware, Integration & Support Service
- 30% boost in productivity, as a result of increased machine up-time and usage.
- Reduced time to market for new products.
- Competitive advantage, through meeting customer demand with ‘make to order’ products.