Industry 4.0 (otherwise known as connected manufacturing) was developed in Germany as a proposed way for SME manufacturers to remain competitive and relevant in the future. German business leaders recognised that their factories could not compete with low-cost manufacturing abroad, so they decided to develop new and innovative techniques to stay competitive.
KEY FEATURES OF INDUSTRY 4.0:
- Digitally connected production systems
- Paperless factories with less overheads
- More responsive manufacturing businesses
- Process automation that speeds manufacturing processes
- Supply chain automation to integrate with customers and suppliers
KEY RESULTS OF INDUSTRY 4.0:
Software, Hardware, Integration & Support Service
- 30% boost in productivity, as a result of increased machine up-time and usage.
- Reduced time to market for new products.
- Competitive advantage, through meeting customer demand with ‘make to order’ products.